- Keyboards are EVIL and Big is Beautiful!
- Include the right data and Spend as much time on design as you can BEFORE you code.
- Export of Data and SkyDrive is your friend. USE IT!
- Don’t allow bad data and don’t assume the user will enter the correct data… Trust No One! The Truth is Out There!
- Polish the Apple and Telerik Controls Rock!
Keyboards are Evil
Include the Right Data
- Create Version 2.0 database (if it doesn’t exist)
- Copy all records from Version 1.0 database to 2.0 database (If 1.0 exists, maybe this isn’t an upgrate)
- Delete Version 1.0 database.
Export of Data and SkyDrive is your friend. USE IT!
Don’t Allow Bad Data
- Make sure the data schema was correct for the data to be collected:
- Times should be DateTime then just format the output to look like a stopwatch.
- Use associated tables to contain the list of options for a particular field. For example a table containing all the possible strokes linked to a stroke id field in the primary table.
- Don’t use the keyboard. Make all input go through a controlled input method. For times, I use the “TimePicker” control with a custom XAML form. For most everything else, use a “DropDown” box that uses a full screen picker list.